Tuesday, October 21, 2008

3 weeks


Baby Devon is now 3 weeks old and we are getting into a routine .... meaning he cries and I change him, feed him, snuggle him or hand him off to Daddy. It's funny how you have all these fears before they are born like "How will I know when he's hungry?" "How will I know what to do?" "Will I even like being a Mom?" and then they're born and it seems ridiculous that you had these fears in the first place and that instinct just kicks in. I often worried since he can't speak that I would have a hard time knowing what he wanted and yet I can have deep, intellectual conversations with my cats and know exactly what they need. I am learning his cries for food, for snuggling and for "I'm fine. I'm crying, but I'm fine". I can remember my life before he was born and it was a great life, but there is so much more love in the house with him here.

I taught my first yoga class since giving birth and it felt so different. One of my students even said that I seem different. I am! Having a baby really changes you. It has only been 3 weeks, but I felt reasonably ready to go back. Maybe it's because he is still new to me and I'm getting used to everything or maybe I am permanently different ... who knows. I felt a little off my game to be honest. I was physically in the room, but I was so distracted it was maddening. I know it will come back to me, but it will take a little time. I am surprised at how much I enjoy being a Mom. It is such a total, complete shift in every facet of my life from my diet, to my sleep to what I wear, but I love taking care of Devon and miss him when he's sleeping.











3 comments:

Kate said...

So precious! He is just too cute. Way to get back to work so quickly!!!
I'm excited for the new routine. I can't wait to just take care of said baby and make a dinner or two.

The Desjardin Family said...

hi annie! glad to hear things are going well. Devon is precious! I sucked the same 2 fingers that he was sucking in that photo .... and I twirled my hair with the other hand. I didn't stop sucking the fingers until I was 11 years old! It always makes me smile to see a kid sucking the same fingers.

Kim said...

What a sweet little baby! I am so glad that you are loving motherhood. It can be a challenge but it's worth it.