Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Devon's first birthday re-cap


How old are you? One!


Devon's birthday was great! We woke up around 7:30 and we had waffles and bananas. We all hung out, I let him play in flour in his high chair while I baked his cake and played toys until he took a nap. When he woke up I put him into his "My first birthday" onesie and we were off.

Joe and I aren't first birthday party type parents. He has enough toys and he won't remember who gave him what anyway. BUT we figured that we had enough family in town and it was a nice excuse to all get together.

I cleaned the house the day before which saved me from headaches because I ALWAYS leave that til the last second and then I get really stressed. All I had to do today to get ready was get a few things at the grocery store and stop by the party supply store. It's his little birthday ... I didn't want him to spend it running errands.

After nap and lunch we went to story time at the library. It looks like "pill poppin'" time at the library based on the picture, but it is a shaker full of rice. My friend Emily and her son Roman weren't there and it was a pretty pathetic turnout to boot so it wasn't as fun as it usually is when there are more people. None of the mom's were very chatty so we were out of there as soon as it was over. A quick trip to the store and then home.

Grandma and Grandpa Turner

This is Crystal's husband Jordan. Devon LOVES him. He just snuggles up to him and stares.


Crystal and 2 out of 3 of her girls.



I got "baby's first birthday" decorations: balloons, plate for the cake, candles, party hats and streamers. Everyone started showing up around 5 and we had a taco bar, carne asada, burritos, pork-something-or-other, salsa, ceviche .... it was great. My parents and Jane's girls (she is out of town so my parents are watching them) Joe's parents, his sister, Crystal and her family, his other sister, Michelle and her family and the company secretary, Erika, and her daughter. All in all there were about 20 people there. It is a lot of work to get enough food and your home ready for that many people, but it was nice to have them all there. I didn't get to eat until after the party unfortunately. With everything that was going on it was impossible to stop, sit down and eat so I just waited until afterwards.


I had Devon in his high chair for dinner and by the time he was done eating everyone had arrived. I gave him his cake with a candle, we sang to him and then we dug into the food. I made his cake from the "Deceptively Delicious" cookbook. It was a carrot cake mixed with cauliflower and cream cheese frosting. I am not sure I loved it, but it wasn't bad and I think it was a good compromise for a little baby. He LOVED it. I have to admit I got teary eyed when we sang Happy Birthday to him. It was a MOMENT. It sounds cheesy, but as much fun as it is to watch him grow up it is sad to watch him grow up. Right now he just literally follows me around the house. He's my little shadow. He wants to be around Joe and I, he gives us hugs and we play. I'm sure that some day he will decide that he doesn't want me in his room, he swears that he must be adopted, he's too cool to hug his mom in front of his friends, that I suddenly embarrass him and $20 bills will start disappearing from my purse. Life is long, but time is short .... very short. I wasn't really thinking all of this in that moment, but I was just over taken by how quickly time goes by.


I really wish that I had told everyone to not bring gifts. He's a baby .... he doesn't need tons of toys. Plus, he won't remember anyway, but people did bring gifts and they were all so generous. They were really thoughtful and he loved them all. Of course I ended up opening them for him, but you could definitely tell the ones he liked. Joe and I got him an absolute pile of puppets (were talking 12 of these things), a T-shirt, a music kit and a sock monkey. Joe also picked out a toy cell phone and a set of real kitchen wooden spoons ... cute Daddy.

I don't think this picture converys the cuteness of these puppets. They are so bright and colorful, super soft and he just loves them. I always bring one in the car with us and sometimes he even takes naps with them. There are 3 sets of 4 groups. There are dinosaurs, bugs, jungle animals and lizards.


I can tell you that Devon had a great time at his party. There were so many people there I thought he would have freaked out, but I think he liked interacting with everyone and he does have a few, clear favorites ;)He was having the time of his little life. It was really a special day for the 3 of us to be able to share it with our family. It really meant a lot to me to have all of them over and celebrate Devon being a part of our family.

1 comment:

Kim said...

A perfect "1st B-day" party. Good job! Well..except for a b-day cake with cauliflower in it..