Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Let's go to the movies: Methadonia


I really enjoy documentaries more than movies for the most part and I thought this was going to be an intensely gripping account following 18 people on their journey off drugs through Methadone and onto recovery. It was done by HBO so it had to be good, right? I thought it was going to be shocking and edgy like a longer version of A&E's show "Intervention", but better. Boy was I wrong. This was totally boring and barely interesting. It was only and hour and a half, but it really felt longer than that. The people in the movie were colorful to say the least and I did learn that Methadone, while it helps people get off drugs is by most accounts harder to quit than drugs like heroine, meth and cocaine. I also learned that the effects of Methadone were heightened when benzodiazapines (a.k.a. "benzos") were added to the mix. The facts that they did give about drugs were very pedestrian for the most part so I would only recommend this if your knowledge on the subject is minimal. In the end all it did was make me angry at the woman who had to have her newborn baby go through detox and recovery before it could even learn to smile in her first 6 weeks of life. It made me feel bad for a few of them, happy that one made it through recovery and annoyed at the others for wasting their lives.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Makes me happy that I don't do drugs...unless you consider chocolate a drug then we may have a problem