Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Alpine Muesli


I can vividly remember working in the dining room at Canyon Ranch when I was 17. Most of the staff was around my age so it was like going to work with all of your friends everyday. It definitely made the 5:00 am breakfast shift go by much faster having people you could relate to working along side you. As a bonus for working in the dining room the staff was "treated" to a meal for every meal we worked. That means that every day I was cooked a healthy breakfast and lunch by gourmet chefs. Not a bad gig.

The menu was on a 7 day rotation and changed about every 3 months. So every Monday for 3 months I got to have mango pancakes, on Tuesdays we had pumpkin waffles and so on for the rest of the week. Alpine Muesli (sounds like m-you-sell-ee) was one of my favorites and I still make it every summer when fruit is in season. I thought it was strange that oats would be served cold, but trust me .... it's divine.

Ingredients:
1 cup orange juice
1 cup milk (I use vanilla soy milk, but regular milk is fine)
1 container Yoplait yogurt (I use boysenberry)
1.5 cup dry oats
Honey to taste
*Mix together and let soak while you prepare the rest of the fruit

(Here's where you kind of do what you want as far as fruit goes, but I will list what I do. I think I remember the recipe using a pound of fruit)
2 apples diced into small pieces
1 small container of strawberries
1 small container raspberries
1 small container blackberries
1 nectarine
1 small package of hazelnuts (the ones you find in the spice/cake mix aisle at the store)

I would stay away from bananas, watermelon and maybe even grapes. Adding them to a ready-to-eat portion would be good though.

If it doesn't "rest" long enough it will be too runny and look like this ....

The next morning it should be thicker and look like this once you stir it ....

Mix the fruit with the top mixture and let it set for a few hours or overnight. You will need to mix it together before portioning out a serving since (1 cup) the liquid tends to separate. This is SO refreshing, satisfying and a great way to start your day with a healthy serving of fruits, nuts and grain. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Kim said...

Yum-O! We had something similar on our Alaska Cruise and would have loved that recipe but I'm going to try it. Thanks!