Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Basic pot roast


I know pot roast is nothing fancy, but here is how I do it and I think it makes the pot roast more flavorful even though the crock pot keeps it moist.

Ingredients:
Roast (I buy the 2 pack at Costco and freeze one. I make sure to cook it within a month)
1 Onion, sliced thick
4-5 cloves chopped Garlic
2 cups Carrots (I use baby carrots and don't even bother to cut them)
4 potatoes, peeled and cut thick
Salt
Pepper
Rosemary
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4-1/2 cup Red wine
1/4-1/2 cup water

SIDEBAR about wine: I NEVER use cooking wine. It's nasty. The rule with cooking with alcohol is to never cook with wine you wouldn't drink. If you don't drink .... never cook with wine you wouldn't serve to guests who DO drink ;) I buy the cheapest wine I can find and I think this bottle ran me about $4 on sale. I must admit I wouldn't drink a bottle of this wine (I don't care for shiraz), but it does the job with cooking. I'm not doing to waste a $30 on pot roast).

Preparation:
Season the meat with salt, pepper, rosemary, and oregano pressing the seasoning into the meat. Brown the meat on all sides and sprinkle with Worcestershire sauce (about 1/4 cup) while cooking. Put the vegetables, garlic and onion in the crock pot and nestle the cooked meat down into the juices and veggies. Using the same pan you browned the meat in, add 1/4-1/2 red wine and 1/4 beef broth and scrape up brown bits while it boils for one minute on high. Drizzle wine and broth over the roast and veggies and cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 5-6 hours. Halfway through cooking turn the meat over so it cooks evenly on both sides and doesn't dry out.

Joe said my food makes the house smell like a home. Nothing will do that easier than a crock pot-pot roast made first thing in the morning.

5 comments:

Franklin Family said...

YUM!

What about those of us who don't drink and would have no idea what to serve to those who do?? :) Have any suggestions? I'd love some!

annieareyouok said...

I would say that if you don't drink in your home then you shouldn't feel obligated to provide alcohol for guests who do. Most likely, they would only be having one "drink with dinner" anyway so I'm sure they wouldn't mind skipping it and it wouldn't matter to them in the least. Also keep in mind that when invited over for dinner, couples may bring a bottle of something-or-other so they can just drink what they bring. If you wanted to go out of your way to accommodate just ask them,"Red or white?" and have someone from the liquor department recommend something.

Franklin Family said...

I appreciate the etiquette advice. Thank you! What about wine for cooking? What do you like to use in your cooking?

annieareyouok said...

I always buy the cheapest thing I can find when it's for cooking. I have had great success at Sunflower finding bottles for $3-5 that were quite good. I try to get merlot (for red) instead of shiraz since I like that general flavor better, but I'm not terribly picky. I'm sure what ever you get would be perfect!

Franklin Family said...

Thanks for the advice. Keep 'em coming. :)