Saturday, April 3, 2010

You kiss your mama with that mouth?

I am what I like to call an "assertive" driver. I don't dilly dally. I don't text or talk on my phone when I drive. I drive extra carefully with Devon in the car. I don't take chances. I am in my car to get from one place to the other as safely and (let's be honest) quickly as possible. Drivers who clearly don't share my same goals get on my nerves. That being said, I am fairly vocal when I drive. If another driver doesn't use his signal and makes a sharp turn, I "remind" him that he forgot to signal. Driving too slow, swerving into my lane, taking my parking spot, not letting me over, on your cell phone and oblivious .... I usually say something to them even though I know they can't hear me. Just a little tap on my horn, a glare, or a head shake. I know they don't notice or care, but it makes me feel better.

Today I realized that maybe I should cut back on my driver-to-bad-driver banter. I backed out of the garage, drove through the neighborhood and pulled into traffic and Devon says,"Go! (4 seconds later) Jeez!" I just about died. I know I say that ALL the time and he finally caught on.

I have to laugh because he says both words so clearly and he says them only when we are in the car. On the upside, at least I know that I don't swear at other drivers ;) Thanks for the reminder, baby Devon, that you understand more than you let on!

4 comments:

Kate said...

that's HIGH-Larious!!!

Kate said...

Jim just reminded me that our friend was at the Chuck-E-Cheese with his kids and one of them was playing a driving game...just a little guy he was. But all of a sudden he yells at the game..."get outta the way you freaking moron!!!" Kids are awesome!

Crystal Pistol said...

So funny! He is adorable in his superman shirt!

Elizabeth Larson said...

Thats funny. Yeah...when kids start repeating things is when you really realize the things you say...Like I guess I say "freaking" once in a while. And yeah...when my son turned to me and says "Mom, thats freaking cool" I know I need to STOP saying it. Cute story!