Monday, May 17, 2010

Purees and Shepherd's Pie


I made my own purees when Devon was a baby, but he didn't like them so I stopped making them. I don't think they were smooth enough or something, but I gave up. Once he switched to solids he loved vegetables and ate green beans like his life depended on it. He ate peas for a snack. Now all he does with veggies is spit them out. So I have gone back to doing purees again and have been mixing them into his food (thanks to Jessica Seinfeld's Deceptively Delicious cookbook). I eat vegetables no problem, but it is great for Joe and I to get an extra serving or two in where we can. I have been doing one vegetable a week, freezing it and vacuum sealing it in ready-to-cook-with portions. I don't have a lot of freezer space, but I try to have something on hand. I still haven't gotten a freezer chest yet so, Honey, if you are reading this ... hint hint! ;) I use the water bottle ice cube trays since they melt faster when cooked. They are about an ounce per section.

Yes, that's a broccoli puree "Popsicle" that he asked for. He didn't eat much of it, but he got some of it down. There is also some puree in the pasta.

Shepherd's Pie has vegetables in it already, but why not add a few more for variety?!

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
1 pound ground lamb (*Lamb grosses me out. OK I've never had it, but I KNOW I wouldn't like it. I used all beef)
1 cup beef or chicken broth
1 tablespoon tomato paste (*I used an entire small can. Better flavor)
1 teaspoon chopped fresh or dry rosemary
1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
1 cup frozen peas (*I also add corn and a few purees)
2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup milk (any fat content)
Kosher salt to taste

Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.

2. In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, heat the oil, then add the onion, carrot, purees and meat. Cook until browned, 8 to 10 minutes.

3. Drain the fat and add the broth, tomato paste, and herbs. Simmer until the juices thicken, about 10 minutes, then add the peas.

4. Pour the mixture into a 1 1/2-quart baking dish; set aside.

5. Meanwhile, bring the potatoes to a boil in salted water. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes; drain.

6. Mash the potatoes with the butter, milk, and salt.

7. Spread them over the meat mixture, then crosshatch the top with a fork.

8. Bake until golden, 30 to 35 minutes.

1 comment:

findingbenjamin said...

mom, mom, mommy, mamaa. can i have a broccoli popcicle?

he ASKED for it? not buying it, but it makes for a good story. lol