Friday, July 9, 2010

Recipe: Egg rolls

I remember making egg rolls as a kid and this totally brought back memories. They are a little labor intensive, but if you have the time it's super easy. Even better if you have kids (or a willing husband)that are old enough to help. The best part (for me) is that the stuffing is relatively quick to put together, but you can cook it ahead of time, let it cool then assemble the stuffing right before you cook them. The stuffing is also great to freeze for later.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
About 4 cups peanut or vegetable oil
2 teaspoons finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
1 1/2 bunches scallions (about 10), white and pale green parts cut into 2-inch lengths, then cut lengthwise into very thin matchsticks (2 1/2 cups)
2 celery ribs, cut into very thin matchsticks (2 cups)
2 medium carrots, cut into very thin matchsticks (1 cup)
8 large fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps sliced 1/4 inch thick (3 cups)
1 lb medium shrimp in shell (31 to 35 per lb), peeled, deveined, and coarsely chopped *I don't eat shrimp so I left this out entirely.*
1/4 lb Chinese roast pork (char siu) or leftover roast pork, cut into 2-inch lengths, then cut lengthwise into very thin matchsticks *I SO didn't want to deal with a Chinese roast pork. I wanted to see if I could make these with stuff I could get at the grocery store and make it taste good so I used ground pork and they were great. If I had the time I could always go to an Asian market for the pork and these would be that much better. Next time I will try that. I used a pound of pork and that totally soaked up all the sauce so I would probably double the sauce.*
1 (1-lb) package Asian egg roll or spring roll wrappers *These are usually sold in the produce aisle. I used the small ones (3x3 I think), but I the recipe uses larger ones that can be rolled into actual rolls. I think the triangles are easier.*
1 large egg, lightly beaten

*I also added bean sprouts.*

Preparation:
Stir together oyster sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, and salt in a small bowl until sugar and salt are dissolved.

Heat a dry 12-inch heavy skillet (not nonstick) over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then add 2 tablespoons peanut oil, swirling skillet to coat. Stir-fry ginger, garlic, and scallions until scallions are wilted, about 1 minute. Add celery, carrots, and mushrooms and stir-fry until vegetables are softened, 4 to 6 minutes. Push vegetables toward edge of skillet, then add shrimp to center and stir-fry until shrimp are just cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Add pork and oyster sauce mixture and stir together all ingredients in skillet until combined. Season with salt and transfer to a large shallow bowl. Cool, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.

Place a small spoon full of veggie/meat mixture in the center of a roll wrapper. Dip your finger in water and dampen 2 sides of the wrapper.

Fold over into a triangle shape and seal tightly shut.

Heat the oil (I used vegetable oil) and in small batches cook the rolls until prefer ed doneness on both sides. Let rest on paper towels and cool before eating. These are good right after cooking, but will stay very crispy even an hour (or more) later so this would be great for a party or a late night snack.

As per a Turner family tradition, I couldn't let this meal go by NOT and fry up some empty wrappers and cover them in powder sugar. It's basically carbs, fat and sugar, but it's still good. I took it a step further and mixed some chopped pears, cinnamon, sugar and a pinch of nutmeg. Cook on the stove until softened. Spoon mixture into the center of a wrapper and cover with another wrapper. They look like ravioli. Fry then douse in powder sugar. So good!

This is not something I would usually make. Waaaaayyyy too much fat for my liking, but I have literally never made these before so I thought I'd try it once. It was definitely good enough to make again, but not healthy to make all the time. I'm sure, however, it will be fun to make when the kids get older. It's OK to splurge now and again, right? Hitting the gym tomorrow though ;)

5 comments:

Kate said...

OH NO YOU DI-ENT!!!!! I am dying right now. These are BY FAR my MOST FAVORITE FOOD OF ALL TIME!!! And yes those are all caps and I am yelling. I also have never made them all by myself...only with mom's help. Who knows when I will ever make them, I don't think I have the counter space right now. All I have eaten today was a 100 calorie protein shake. My one pan to boil water for my pasta lunch needs to be cleaned and the water I just boiled to clean the dishes is too hot to use...so I am letting it cool. All at the same time as my sister posts the most glorious recipe know to man. UGHHHHHH!

Mary said...

OMG. Tired just reading this post!!!!! Annie!

annieareyouok said...

Oh Katy I love your enthusiam for this food but, alas, this is not Mom's recipe. I don't know if she has it anymore, but I should try hers next time and see how they are. I remember them being OHHHHH SOOOOOOOO good though. P.S. This doesn't take that much room, effort or money ... just time to assemble. Get on it people!! ;)

annieareyouok said...

OK Katy I just went to Mom's and this is basically her recipe, but hers called for cornstarch so it's pretty close.

yo nance said...

Actually, my recipe is a little more different than just adding the corn starch, but I'm sure yours are equally good...maybe even better. I think mine is less time consuming because I use a pkg. of chop suey mix, so I don't have to chop all the vegies. I also don't use fresh ginger. I'm getting hungry for them, but for me it's too much work for just the two of us. I should have company over.