Friday, August 28, 2009

Recipe of the day: Pork chops and mint pesto

This. Is. Delicious.

It is SUPER easy to make and very inexpensive. Full of flavor and Joe said he could eat this recipe all the time. Here it is:

1 cup lightly packed fresh mint leaves
1 clove garlic
3 T. olive oil
1 T white vinegar
1/4 C. grated Parmesan cheese
2 T. slivered almonds
salt
pepper
8 pork chops
1/4 C. jelly

* This recipe calls for lamb chops, but since I don't cook lamb and Joe doesn't really like it I'm sure this would work for chicken as well as pork which is what I used. It also called for apple jelly, but I couldn't find at the store so I used the apricot jelly I had in the fridge and it was fine. Any jelly would work since it is really just to get a little sweetness and carmelization going.*

Brown chops on each side until almost cooked. Brush jelly over chops and continue browning them until cooked through. While chops are cooking blend cheese, mint, garlic, salt, pepper, almonds, vinegar, olive oil until nearly smooth.

That's it. It should take about 15 minutes from start to finish. Before I started browning the pork I started cooking the rice which takes about 30 minutes. I also served it with corn. This is a very simple recipe that is packed with fresh flavor and easy on your budget. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Kate said...

sounds scrumptious