Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Chicken Pot pie

I LOVED chicken pot pies growing up and fell in love with this easy recipe. I also love using puff pastry since that means I don't have to make my own and I know it will turn out light, fluffy and make this "meat and potatoes" dish taste a little more fancy. I was out of marjoram (and I forgot to get some at the store, duh!), but I used rosemary and I think I liked it better that way anyway.

Ingredients:
5 applewood-smoked bacon slices
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
12 ounces peeled whole baby carrots (about 2 1/2 cups)
1 8-ounce package trimmed haricots verts or other slender green beans, halved crosswise
4 teaspoons chopped fresh marjoram
1 3/4 cups low-salt chicken broth
2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon crème fraîche (*I used heavy cream and it's fine)
3 cups coarsely shredded chicken from 1 small purchased roasted chicken (skin removed)
*I also added potatoes. What kind of pot pie would this be without potatoes?!?! Sometimes I also add corn and peas.*

1 sheet frozen puff pastry (half of 17.3-ounce package), thawed

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 450F. Cook bacon in heavy large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Chop bacon. Add onion to drippings in skillet; sauté until tender and golden, about 8 minutes. Add next 3 ingredients; stir 1 minute. Add broth; bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to mediumhigh and boil until vegetables are almost tender and some liquid is reduced, about 8 minutes. Stir in 2/3 cup crème fraîche, chicken, and bacon. Bring to simmer. Season with pepper. Divide among four 2-cup soufflé dishes.

Unfold puff pastry onto work surface; roll out to 12-inch square. Cut into 4 equal squares. Top filling in soufflé dishes with pastry; fold edges down onto rims of dish. Brush top of crusts (not edges) with remaining 1 tablespoon crème fraîche. Cut small X in center of crusts; pierce all over with fork. Bake until crusts are golden brown and filling is heated through, about 22 minutes.

*I used 1 big casserole dish and cut the puff pastry into as many pieces as it took to cover the surface before baking. That way each serving gets it's own crust and it doesn't turn the whole thing into a mess when it's cut. I baked it for 20 minutes and even then the pastry started to burn so keep an eye on it. Enjoy!


www.epicurious.com

2 comments:

Kate said...

mmmmmm, chicken pot pie. what a great looking recipe. I'll be making that one soon for sure.

Unknown said...

Personally. I love these pot pies but if this company wants to make real money. Contact me. I have a great idea I'm willing to share. No strings. This is real. They have to appeal to a new era.this is a straight hit.