Monday, February 15, 2010

What's for dinner: Prosccuito wrapped Tilapia

I am always looking for yummy, nutritious and quickly prepared recipes. I don't eat seafood (I have a slight allergy to it that makes me throw up) so I don't usually cook fish. I did, however, start cooking it lately because Joe loves fish, I'm trying to get Devon to like it and from the time the fish hits the skillet to when it slides onto the plate is about 20 minutes or less and that has been extremely helpful to be able to cook an entire meal while Devon is eating and occupied.

OK, so I changed this recipe A LOT and it still turned out super yummy. I don't grill .... so I pan fried the fish in a little bit of butter and it was perfectly fine. They didn't have any "whole fish" with the skin on at the store I went to and I am not about to drive all over looking for it so I got Tilapia fillets. I'm sure any fish would work. The same LAME store(cough-cough Fry's) also didn't have prosciutto so I got pancetta instead. It did work out fine, but I think prosciutto would have stuck to the fish better during cooking, it has a more delicate flavor,but it wasn't a big deal. Since I ended up using filets and not whole fish, I put the herbs on top of the fish then wrapped them in pancetta instead of stuffing the herbs in the fish. The fillets are just too thin unless you get thick pieces. Anyway, those are the changes I made, but here is the recipe as written.

Ingredients:
4 whole fish, about 1 pound each, cleaned, such as trout, snapper, whitefish, flounder, or bluefish
1 cup fresh herbs such as tarragon, thyme, marjoram, etc.
Olive oil (*I used Rosemary and Tarragon)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 pound thinly cut pancetta or center-cut bacon

Preparation:
Grilling Method: Indirect/Medium Heat

Rinse fish and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper inside and out. Place fresh herbs inside cavity of fish. Lightly oil both sides of fish. Wrap seasoned, oiled fish with pancetta or bacon that is thinly sliced and unrolled. Wrap fish loosely, mummy-style, with the pancetta, leaving head and tail exposed.

Place fish in center of cooking grate. Cook until opaque, but still moist in thickest part (10 to 15 minutes). Remove from grill.

Place fish onto platter and serve immediately.



www.epicurious.com

2 comments:

Franklin Family said...

I'm not a fish fan, either, but Jared loves it! We have it once a week - usually salmon or tilapia. This looks likes something he'd love! Thank you for the idea!

Extensions of Thought said...

You are quite a talented person, Annie.